The Wyoming Dinosaur Center Kids’ Dig Program provides a unique opportunity for youth, age 8 to 12, to experience a full day of digging, prepping and casting – and everyone gets a dino-mite souvenir to take home. This is one day on the job they will never forget!
The Kids’ Dig Program is limited to 25 children per session. Advance registration is required. We meet at 8:30 in the morning, fill out waivers, fill up water bottles, and head to the field by 9:00. The group will be split into two or more smaller groups. A typical schedule would look as follows:
- Dig site – we will transport the group up to a dig site and go over the basic rules of the site. This keeps both the participants and the bones safe (from such things as accidentally walking through the bone bed). Demonstrations of basic quarry techniques will lead into digging for dinosaurs! Usually, there is an hour and a half of digging time (often more than enough for most children). If your child would like to spend more time we would recommend the Dig for a Day Program, and at least one parent is required to participate with them.
- Prospecting in the Sundance – we transport the group to the Sundance Formation This geological unit represents an ancient shallow sea from the Jurassic. Participants will be shown typical fossils they can find, and will then be allowed to explore the hillside in small teams.
- Lunch and terrace walk at the Hot Springs State Park – Lunch will be provided in the Hot Springs State Park. After lunch, we will guide the group on a tour of the terraces and discuss their formation, ecology, and local lore.
- Preparation Lab – while one group is touring the museum the other group will be working in the prep lab. Using toothbrushes and dental picks the children will remove matrix from dinosaur bones. The groups will then rotate.
- Molding & Casting – During the afternoon the children will make a cast of a small fossil to take home with them. Proper molding and casting techniques will be taught and instructions given on how to use the materials.
- Museum tour – we will take one group through the museum, starting with a discussion on the formation of the earth then travel through the ‘Walk Through Time.’ The journey concludes with over 58 mounted dinosaur skeletons!
When we do not feel conditions on the hill are safe, we will cancel the dig. Your registration fees will be refunded in full, or we will work with you to reschedule your dig if possible.
No lodging is provided with this program.
Wyoming Dinosaur Center Cancellation Policy
If your plans change and you cannot participate, we will refund your registration fees less a $25 cancellation fee provided you cancel 30 days or more prior to your reserved date. No refund will be given for cancellations less than 30 days prior to your reserved date. If you simply need to change the date of your reservation, we will be happy to reschedule you with no penalty, dependent upon availability.