Our Kids’ Dig Program provides a unique opportunity for youth, age 6 to 13, to experience two days of prospecting, digging, prepping, and molding and casting — everyone gets a dino-mite souvenir to take home. This is a one-of-a-kind experience they will never forget!
This program is limited to 14 children per session and is a kids only program. Participants arrive at the museum at 8:30am for check in, the program begins at 9:00am and ends at 3:00pm. Kids are REQUIRED to wear tennis shoes or hiking boots (sandals or any open toe open heel footwear is not allowed) and bring a water bottle. We strongly recommend wearing a hat and carrying a small bag or backpack to hold sunscreen and any fossils they collect along the way. Upon arrival, parents must complete waivers then water bottles are filled before kid’s head out with staff at 9:00am.
• Molding and Casting — We will introduce the process of molding and casting. Kids are instructed on why and how we create our molds before producing exact replicas of fossils that we have in the museum. Each participant takes a cast home.
• Prospecting in the Sundance — This geological unit represents an ancient shallow sea from the Jurassic. Participants will be shown typical fossils they can find then explore the hillside to find fossils of their own.
• Preparation Lab — Kids’ will learn how to remove the matrix surrounding the dinosaur bone and how to properly preserve them.
• Dig Site — Our dig sites have produced more than 2,000 bones each, and while we cannot guarantee that everyone will find a bone, they will be digging around bones found by others and have a good chance of making their own discovery. Before beginning, basic safety tips and rules are discussed in order to keep all participants as well as the bones they are working on safe. We will demonstrate proper digging techniques and instruct children on how they should conduct themselves within the quarry as well as show them examples of bone so that they can better identify the fossils when found.
• Lunch is provided at the dig site. If your child has any dietary restrictions, please call at the time of reservation to let us know.
If at any point we feel that conditions on the hill are unsafe, we will cancel the dig. Your registration fees will be refunded in full, or we will work with you to reschedule your dig if possible.
If children are not appropriately prepared (correct footwear, water bottle, etc.) they will not be allowed to participate, and your payment is forfeit.
Registration must be made in advance. No same day registrations will be allowed.