The Wyoming Dinosaur Center’s Dinosaur Academy is a 5-day course designed to allow an in-depth study of vertebrate fossils found in the Morrison Formation. This program for high school students grades 9-12 includes classroom instruction as well as field exploration, excavation, and laboratory techniques. The course will provide a basic knowledge emphasizing environmental deposition, mapping, excavation, identification and skeletal structure, preparation, preservation, collection management and presentation of fossil specimens.
Goals and Objectives:
The goal of the course is to provide instruction and hands-on activities in the classroom, laboratory, and field to accomplish the following objectives:
- Demonstrate a basic knowledge of the Geologic Timetable by defining the area of study
- Recognize the stratigraphic succession and the fossil-bearing strata of the Morrison Formation
- Describe the paleoecology of the Morrison Formation
- Demonstrate basic skills in map reading
- Observe and participate in basic surveying techniques
- Demonstrate the use of the Global Positioning System
Dig Site Excavation
- Perform site documentation with use of radial mapping and Total Station
- Demonstrate techniques in excavation and removal of fossil specimens
- Describe taphonomy of the specimenrch.
Specimen Identification and Skeletal Structure
- Learn to identify dinosaur bones at the Genus level
- Accurately identify various dinosaur bones based on morphology and function
Fossil Preparation and Preservation
- Remove matrix surrounding fossil specimens by utilizing various laboratory tools and techniques
- Demonstrate techniques for molding and casting of prepared specimens
- Observe digital 3D imaging of specimens
- Describe the importance of the Collection Management Database with respect to scientific study and research publications
Museum Display Presentation
- Describe the elements of the architecture, artistic design, and presentation of a display
- Design educational documentation and graphics
Student activities and learning experiences are arranged to take the fossil specimen from the point of discovery in the field through all the processes necessary for final museum display for scientific study, education, and research.
No lodging is provided with this program.
Wyoming Dinosaur Center Cancellation Policy
If your plans change and you cannot participate, we will refund your registration fees less a $25 cancellation fee provided you cancel 30 days or more prior to your reserved date. No refund will be given for cancellations less than 30 days prior to your reserved date. If you simply need to change the date of your reservation, we will be happy to reschedule you with no penalty, dependent upon availability.
- July 21 thru July 26, 2019
- Students grades 9-12: $650.00 per person
Can’t find the information you need? Please call us directly at (800) 455-3466. Visa, MasterCard and Discover accepted.