Join the Wyoming Dinosaur Center for a full day of dinosaur discovery! Dig for bones in one of the WDC’s active dinosaur sites, search an ancient sea for marine fossils, and enjoy a full guided tour of our museum!
Wyoming Dinosaur Center staff and visitors have removed more than 10,000 bones from the excavation sites – all within a 10-minute drive of the Center. Most fossils are from long-necked sauropods (Camarasaurus, Diplodocus, Apatosaurus). We have also found an abundance of Allosaurus teeth at all of our active quarries.
If you find new bone, it will remain at the Wyoming Dinosaur Center as they are your contribution to science. Your name, the bone and location will be recorded in our bone registry for all to see! The information and bones you gather will be used to help our scientific studies. Of course, we cannot guarantee you will find a bone, but even if you do not, you have helped scientists learn more about the site itself.
The Dig For A Day Program is open to all ages, regardless of experience; however, a parent or legal guardian must accompany anyone under age 18. The program is limited to first-come-first-serve, with a maximum of 4 digs a day. Advance registration is required. You should be in good physical health as the hill can be strenuous. Our climate is dry; the dig sites are about 4,500 feet above sea level, and it is easy to feel the effects of the sun at that altitude. Not to worry though – you are not alone. Our staff will be on hand to answer questions and to help at all times.
You may dig with us 7 days a week from May 25 through September 15 (weather permitting). Our climate averages about 321 clear days a year. When we do not feel conditions on the hill are safe, we will cancel the dig. Your registration fees will be refunded in full, or we will work with you to reschedule your dig if possible.
No lodging is provided with this program.
Wyoming Dinosaur Center Cancellation Policy
If your plans change and you cannot participate, we will refund your registration fees less a $25 cancellation fee provided you cancel 30 days or more prior to your reserved date. No refund will be given for cancellations less than 30 days prior to your reserved date. If you simply need to change the date of your reservation, we will be happy to reschedule you with no penalty, dependent upon availability.
- 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM daily
- A brief introduction begins at the Wyoming Dinosaur Center at 8 am on the day of the dig. You will meet your guide(s), who will make sure you have everything you need before leaving the museum. We will introduce you to local geology and paleontology as well as digging techniques and data collection procedures.
- Transportation to the site leaves about 8:15 AM. No personal vehicles are allowed.
- A sack lunch, consisting of a deli sandwich, chips, fruit, and water is provided at the dig site. Please contact us if you have any dietary restrictions.
- If you find a dinosaur fossil, technicians will show you how to preserve it while you are working and how to document your find.
- Excavation ends at 3:30, when we travel back to the museum for a tour.
- If you arrive the evening before your dig, stop by the museum. We’ll be glad to visit with you about the dig, and you can tour the museum and see technicians at work on bones from the dig sites.
- Adults: $ 150.00 per day
- Children 12 and under: $ 100.00 per day
Cost includes materials, tools to excavate fossils and document activities, lunch and transportation to and from the dig site.
Can’t find the information you need? Please call us directly at (800) 455-3466. Visa, MasterCard and Discover accepted.